Did you know that the oral health is of utmost importance for the overall health? Taking care of the mouth, teeth, gums, and the oral health in general can help prevent gum disease, tooth decay, and bad breath. In addition, a healthy mouth helps protect against other medical disorders, such as stroke, heart attack, diabetes, and preterm labor.
On the other hand, poor oral hygiene is detrimental for the overall health, as the mouth can be an infection source if left untreated. There are more than 500 species of bacteria in the mouth which form dental plaque, leading to infections like gingivitis, periodontitis, and trench mouth.
Apart from brushing and flossing, using a mouthwash is yet another crucial part of oral hygiene. It helps remove plaque, reaching and combating the bacterial that couldn’t be otherwise reached with brushing. At the same time, it leaves the mouth thoroughly cleaned and the breath freshened.
There are a few benefits of using a homemade mouthwash, including the following:
- It is cheap ( You can make your own homemade mouthwash using simple and inexpensive ingredients and still get amazing results)
- You have control over the ingredients ( You can remove plague using safe and all-natural ingredients)
- Chemical-free ( Store-bought mouthwash products are packed with artificial colors, preservatives, chemicals, flavorings, and artificial sweeteners)
The recipe presented in this article is cheap, yet very effective in removing plaque and helping you regain healthy and pearly teeth. It uses baking soda as key ingredient, a substance that is considered to be one of the best and most powerful cleaners which can be used in many different ways and for various purposes, including maintaining proper oral hygiene.
Also known as sodium bicarbonate, it also contains potent stain removal and bleaching properties, which is the reason why many people use it for teeth brushing. It also contains antibacterial properties, which help remove microbes and tartar that are often the underlying cause of cavities and bad breath.
Homemade Mouthwash Recipe
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- ½ tsp of salt
- ½ cup hydrogen peroxide
- ½ cup warm water
- 1 cup cold water
- A toothbrush
- Mix the baking soda with the salt
- Soak the toothbrush in warm water ant then spread the mixture over
- Rub the teeth thoroughly, spit, and repeat the process
- Mix the hydrogen peroxide with warm water t create a mouthwash
- Swish solution in the mouth for a minute and then spit
- Use a toothpick to get rid of the tartar between the teeth
- Rinse with cold water
There are a few other tips on how to maintain a proper oral hygiene:
- Brush the teeth at least three times a day using a high-quality toothpaste
- Never swallow mouthwash as it might contain detrimental ingredients
- Eat more spicy foods which stimulate the production of saliva, which naturally neutralizes the oral cavity
- Consider doing oil pulling on a daily basis